Saturday, January 1, 2011

Actual Gun Blogging For A Change

I managed to close out the year on a loud note. About mid-day yesterday, I closed a swap/buy deal with my regular FFL. In exchange for my Ruger Mini Thirty and a wad of cash, I am now the proud owner of a Browning lever gun in .22 S/L/LR (which will probably end up in my Grandson's proto-arsenal once his Dad and I agree he's ready for such; since he's only 8 mos old as of yet, Mom insists I'll have a good decade to get it well shot in for him :)).

Along with the rifle, I found a real gem of a pistol I really wasn't looking to acquire, a S&W 625-10 revolver in .45acp with the Performance Center stamp proudly displayed below the cylinder release (mine is a 1" barrel and has finger-grooved wood grips though). Purportedly, this was one of the samples on show at SHOT 2005 (all bought en mass following the show by a dealer, from whom my FFL bought it in turn shortly thereafter). Needless to say, it has a very smooth double action for a gun having so little appearance of having been shot much. It's spent most of the last five years as a safe queen, something that won't occur around here! :) Commercial 230 gr. FMJ isn't unbearable recoil-wise, but I think I'll try to stick to 185 gr JHP as much as possible.

I didn't do much shooting-wise over the course of 2010, but it all came good in the end. Now, of course, I'll have to look around the web for all the other stuff you want to go with a nice piece. Something for the new year too.

No comments: