Monday, March 14, 2011

Smith & Wesson Hates It's Customers

Day 55 of an American Held Hostage to corporate disdain!

At least a few people have noted my experience with what is publicly acknowledged as a Smith & Wesson design and production process failure. The so-called agent of corporate dissimilitude "customer service representative" commented at the time of my first contact that, "That's ours". Now, to be fair, I suppose he could have been noting the obvious, that the pile of wreckage gun with "Smith & Wesson" prominently stamped into the frame was one of theirs, but the impression he let stand was that the likely cause was one he was familiar with, that the cause was theirs and not the obvious result of my own ineptitude.

What is most galling is the complacent avoidance of any effort to inform me as to any progress in what Smith & Wesson must laughingly refer to as their "decision making process" as regards any potential resolution of this matter. Follow up calls on my part don't rise to my personal estimation of "keeping me informed" and neither do vague references to a "metals shop" having the responsibility to determine my fate.

As to that - resolution of this matter, the 625-10 was a limited production weapon from the outset and one that Smith & Wesson no longer makes. I have no idea what value the corporate leviathan will pronounce for my unrepairable purchase, but none of the revolvers they offer in their most recent catalog rise to the specifications that led to my buying the gun in the first place. I note that their scandium frame 1911 pattern pistol in .45 acp comes quite close, but somehow doubt that corporate financial interests will agree it's near-$1200.00 msrp is compatible.

To the extent past performance actually is a guide to future activity, more to follow, I promise.

1 comment:

NotClauswitz said...

For all our vaunted technology and manufacturing (what's left) prowess, I still have very little confidence in the US after-sale treatment.