Friday, December 7, 2007

Anticipation sucks after a while

I've been waiting for one of these for over four years now. I submit that qualifies as "a while".

I traded e-mail with Revopower CEO John Richards in 2004 during which I suggested he hire me to ride my bike with one of his motors across the breadth of Australia. I stand by that offer still, but confess that it will likely take me a couple months longer to prepare for the exhibition then it would have back then. He very charitably complimented me on my imaginative approach (or possibly just my imagination - the memory is the second thing to go, you know) and suggested we wait on further development of the Wheel before discussing the matter further.

Well Mr. Richards (like he reads this page), I expect to buy my own Wheel next year, but I still think your company needs a slightly outrageous demonstration of it's product's capabilities and who better to do so then the person who first thought up the idea? The Free-to-B Endurance Ride (that would be Freemantle to Brisbane) would certainly showcase the Wheel's versatility over a varied selection of terrain, particularly with an ordinary guy in his mid-fifties pushing the peddles. At an average of 80 miles a day, the ride itself lasts for about a month. Allow 8 to 10 weeks for course inspection and rider acclimatization and the whole thing (including post-Ride publicity) is over in 3 to 4 months max.

I wouldn't be very surprised if my bicycle's manufacturer couldn't be convinced to pony up some cash for prominent mention of their name during the event. Then there's the tire company and anybody else who's products get used. You suppose Exxon or Shell might like a little obviously enviro-friendly media mention just for a change? I gave up smoking last February so Marlboro is no longer a viable sponsor any more. You'll understand my lack of contrition about that I'm sure. And then there's always the follow up Island Hop Ride (that would be Staten to Coronado).

Come on John, the time is right and I'm your guy for the deed! Whadda ya say?

No comments: